Largest Campus Sustainability Conference Heads to Portland, Oregon
Portland, OR — Themed Innovation for Sustainable Economies & Communities, the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) 2014 Conference & Expo will be held in Portland, Oregon on October 26–29.
“The annual Conference & Expo is a very important and ‘must attend’ event for like-minded higher education sustainability professionals to come together to learn, share ideas and best practices with one another and take back to their institutions,” says AASHE Executive Director Stephanie A. Herrera. “We are excited and proud to see this year’s conference come together in one of the most sustainable American cities in the country, and look forward to unveiling the location for the 2015 AASHE Conference & Expo.”
The AASHE Conference & Expo is the largest gathering of higher education sustainability professionals and students in North America. Attendees from around the world will come together at AASHE 2014 to network and share new innovations, activities, frameworks, learning outcomes, tools, strategies, research, theory and leadership initiatives that are changing the face of sustainability on their campus and surrounding communities.
At the Oregon Convention Center, a LEED-certified building, everyone can look forward to hearing:
- Annie Leonard, Greenpeace USA executive director and “Story of Stuff” creator, featured keynote
- Marcelo Bonta, founder of Environmental Professionals of Color and the Center for Diversity & the Environment, Monday keynote
- Rob Bennett, founder and CEO of EcoDistricts, Tuesday keynote
- Andy Keller, president and founder of ChicoBags, opening Student Summit keynote
- Anna Lappé, national bestselling author and sustainable food advocate, closing Student Summit keynote
These inspirational speakers are sure to excite and leave attendees with a drive to increase sustainability efforts at their college or university.
Attendees can also expect a full schedule with pre- and post-conference workshops focused on AASHE’s STARS program, leadership training and other professional development opportunities in addition to an Expo Hall with innovative products and services and sessions that will ignite participants to take action.
Plenary session topics include:
- Promising Practices for Transformative Sustainability Education
- Indigenous Practices for Sustainability
- Driving Innovations Simultaneously at the Economy, Community and Campus Scale
- Data to Action: Advancing Sustainability Investment Decisions
To view the agenda and to learn more about this year’s educational program, please visit the AASHE 2014 Conference & Expo website.
About the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE)
AASHE is helping to create a brighter future of opportunity for all by advancing sustainability in higher education. By creating a diverse community engaged in sharing ideas and promising practices, AASHE provides administrators, faculty, staff and students, as well as the businesses that serve them, with: thought leadership and essential knowledge resources; outstanding opportunities for professional development; and a unique framework for demonstrating the value and competitive edge created by sustainability initiatives. For more information, visit www.aashe.org.