Tornado Safety at the University of Oklahoma
Here is the text on university of Oklahoma’s emergency preparedness web
page giving instructions for safety in severe
weather and tornados. It may help you create
or update your own instructions.
“The City of Norman maintains a
citywide civil defense warning siren that
will be sounded in the event of a tornado
warning. If severe weather is imminent and
you are outdoors, move indoors as quickly
1. Consider obtaining an emergency kit and
weather radio for your department.
2. Shut off any equipment that might be
affected by a temporary loss of electricity.
3. Close hallway doors as you leave to shield
the corridors from flying debris.
4. Move to any of the best available refuge
areas in the building. Become familiar
with the location of the best available
refuge area in your building before a
5. When you are off campus or in buildings
without designated shelters, move to a
small room on lower levels, an interior
hallway or basement. GET IN, GET DOWN
AND COVER UP!
6. Avoid upper floors, large glassed areas,
auditoriums and windows.
7. Stay out of parking garages, auditoriums
and exterior walkways. Stay away from
8. Use the telephone for emergency calls ONLY.
9. STAY CALM AND ALERT.
10. Call 911 to report any damage.
11. There WILL NOT be an all clear signal
from the siren system in Norman.”
To see the University of Oklahoma
text online, and for additional emergency
preparation plans, visit http://goo.gl/UDH5Ni).
This article originally appeared in the March 2017 issue of College Planning & Management.